The Pet Friendly Realtor
When people ask me what exactly is a “Pet Friendly” Realtor many things come to mind including of course finding clients homes with their pets(buying,selling, and renting) but, it goes way beyond that. Animals of kinds are my heart and soul. It is why I wake up every day and stay up night after night until the sun almost is rising again. I have my own 501C3 Animal Rescue Organization called Tailed Treasures of MD, Inc. I started my rescue about 8 years ago but, have done rescue since I could walk bringing home every stray animal I found.
One of my bigggest causes is getting lost animals back with their owners and trying to prevent pets from becoming lost or stolen and worse yet killed intentionally or unintentionally. Day after day, night after I am continually using social media to post lost, missing, stolen, reunited and sadly Rest in Peace messages in hopes that I can save this from happening to as many pets as possible. My husband see’s me crying every night because when you read these posting and see the family members pictures you can’t help but, cry. He tells me not to do it because he knows how upsetting this is but, I am determined that one day I hope I will never have to post these again.
I guess the best piece of advice I could ever give anyone is to NEVER NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED AND ASSUME “OH THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME”.. WRONG WRONG WRONG….. JUST SPEND AFEW MINUTES ON MY FACE BOOK PAGE AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY I AM SAYING THIS!
The first and foremost way to help find your pet is to have him/her micro-chipped. It is not expensive and is easily done. See link enclosed about it. Second ALWAYS have tags on your pets with the most updated information. I know many many people take their pets collars off at night or only keep on when going out but, THEY NEED TO STAY ON ALL THE TIME. What if you had a fire, or emergency and had to leave your house quickly you will not ave time to do this. With technology today keep hard copies of your pets records and a current picture as well as scanned in to your computer. Keep an emergency kit by the door including this information so, you can easily access it. Lastly, if at all possible I highly reccommend the Pet Tagg GPS tracking system. I have nothing to do with the company, I don’t sell them but, I have them for my pets and I will tell you it is one of the best purchases I ever made. see enclosed link
The following information may contain things that you not think about:
- Be aware of your surroundings. I think one of the most common ways pets get lost is by taking your pet off lead and especially in an unfamiliar place as such when you are on vacation. I also see a lot of pets get lost in the mountains etc.. on hiking/camping trips. The problem is that people “trust” their pets won’t run away or my favorite “oh they won’t go far” WRONG WRONG WRONG…..YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOUR PET WILL SEE AND WANT TO CHASE.
- Speaking of keeping your pet on lead I unfortunately get many calls that children either supervised or unsupervised were walking the dogs, the dog sees something and then the next thing you know the dog is gone. PLEASE I want to make very clear that children 100% should be involved in the care of a pet but, it is all about how it is done. ***So now your pet is lose*** our first instinct is to chase and scream after our pets.. tat is the WORST thing you can do. Remain calm!!! ALways carry treats with you out on walks and calmly tell the dog you a treat and coax him/her to come back. So many times we don’t know the history of our pets and by chasing it you can cause it to run in the street and be killed or just run faster away from you. When you have aper you should work with a trainer or work with the pet so that in case that moment happens your pet will respond to your cue word that by coming back they are re-warded with treat. There are also clicker training systems you can use if you “must” take your dog off lead but, I highly recommend you work with a trainer before using it by yourself.
- All to many times I will get a cll saying that a relative, a friend, or even worse yet a dog walker lost their pet. PLEASE REINFORCE WITH ALL THAT YOUR PET IS NEVER TO BE OFF LEAD!! Even if you take your pet off lead please never trust that your dog will return to someone else. No one else knows your pet like you do. For example if your cat is an indoor only cat but, likes to greet you at the door please make sure the person caring for pet is aware of this behavior and can be prepared so it does not dart out the door. Special precautions can be made such as baby gates confining pet to one room, etc.. Many pet owners just use collars and pets can easily slip out. I suggest owners use a harness (all times if possible) but, if nothing else while someone else is caring for your pet
- Your place of residence should always be secure. Since you live there all the time there may not be things you are aware of. Most commonly gates are left open, doors are left open, or pets can easily push doors open. Most people just “ASSUME” their yard is safe and never even give it a second thought. People put up fences and then NEVER check it again. Storms happen, trees and branches fall, boards warp, things grow underneath it etc.. and can make escaping easy. NEVER “ASSUME” that your pet won’t jump your fence. Pets should NEVER EVER leave your pets unattended in the yard NEVER!!!!!!! It only takes seconds and your pet is GONE!!!!!!
- Speaking of your yard most pets are afraid of loud noises thunder, fireworks, work being done etc… Sadly, all too often pets are lost and worse yet hit by cars because they are fleeing the noise. Don’t ever assume your pet won’t dig under your fence or an open area to get out to flee the nose. Worse yet..and I am BEGGING you DON’T BRING YOUR PETS TO FIREWORKS DISPLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am beside myself with the number of pets who are so frightened that they literally are shaking uncontrollably. I am also PLEADING WITH OWNERS..EVEN IF YOUR PET IS OUTDOORS ALOT PLEASE BRING THEM INSIDE DURING THESE FEW HOURS. Also, go outside on a lead with your pet even if your yard is fenced during these loud noises. Yes, I get it most people don’t want to get wet..etc.. but, what is more important you getting wet or the heartache of a lost, missing or even killed loved one. Please also don’t just let your pets out after a storm, check your yard as there could down wires (live), branches/trees that are hanging that could fall on them or holes in your fence. Sounds like a lot of work huh? Just spend ten minutes talking to a pet owner whose pet has gone missing and you will understand why I am telling you these things.
- Whether your home is listed for sale, your cleaning service comes over, you have contractors coming in and out, or children coming in and out YOU NEED TO SECURE YOUR PET AND NOT ASSUME EVERYBODY ELSE WILL!!!!!!!! I recently safely returned a dog to his owner and the owner had no idea it was missing until I knocked on the door. She said she had painters over and”they must have left the gate open”. Thank God the dog was unharmed but, this is a small percentage. I always suggest pad locking your gates with a key lock and you keep the key at all times, confining pets to a locked room where you have the key, or maybe board them for those days. Yes, again I hear you groaning about how much “extra” work this is but, again I don’t want to have post on my Facebook Page as I often do “SAD NEWS” RIP….
- I am sure I will get a lot of people who disagree with my next paragraph however, I feel it is my duty to inform people that ELECTRIC FENCES don’t work 100%. Some animals get used to the shock and if they really want to break thru they will. even more so that I don’t like electric fences is that other animals can come in your yard and possibly harm your pet, people can easily come in your yard and steal your pet, etc.. The companies are usual don’t on the receiving end of the heartache and pain I see everyday of pets lost, missing, stolen, killed intentionally or unintenially. Also, right up there with the electric fence is the person who ties their pet outside of a grocery store, Starbucks, etc.. FIRST AND FOREMOST IN MANY PLACES IT IS ILLEGAL BUT, WORST YET THIS IS JUST ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY FOR YOUR PET TO BE STOLEN AND OR HARMED. DON’T DO IT AND IF YOU SEE SOMEONE DO IT PLEASE BE POLITE AND TELL THEM WHAT COULD HAPPEN.
- HERE IS THE SAD REALTY AND THIS IS A TRUE STORY. AND UNFORTUNATELY THIS HAPPENS TIME AND TIME AGAIN. TWO BEAUTIFUL HUSKIES ESCAPED THEIR YARD AND SOMEONE SHOT BOTH TO DEATH. THE OWNERS GRIEF WAS UNIMAGINABLE AS THESE WERE GENTLE SOULS AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS. I AM SAYING THIS BECAUSE THERE HAVE BEEN INCREASED NUMBER IN PET THEFTS IN THE AREA. PETS ARE SOLD FOR PROFIT, PETS ARE USED AS BAIT DOGS IN DOG FIGHTING RINGS, PETS ARE SOLD LABS FOR HORRIFIC TESTING AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON. IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME JUST TYPE IN ANY OF THESE THINGS ON THE INTERNET AND I GUARENTEE YOU WILL BE IN TEARS!!
- Just a word of advice about Craigs List… people’s lost or stolen dogs are posted all the time, please check for a microchip if you are getting a pet from there. ALso, NEVER EVER POST ANIMALS FREE TO GOOD HOMEAS THIS IS A CERTAIN DEATH SENTENCE FOR YOUR PET. CONTACT YOUR LOCAL RESCUES!!1
There are so many things that you should do if you have lost your pet that I can’t even begging to tell you all of them. I have enclosed several web sites to help you with this.
My heart and soul belongs to all animals but, one lost dog has touched my heart and has been missing since Dec. 3, 2012. (see enclosed photo) and Maddie’s Facebook page address. I have become very close to the owners and believe me everyday TEAM MADDIE is out there doing things to help find her. I won’t go in all the details because that would take me weeks and maybe months suffice to say that it takes a village to help get these lost souls back where they belong. Sometimes it is a very happy reunion, sometimes a very sad ending, and sometimes like in Maddie’s case there is hope that maybe this will be the day we gather back home,.
Even if you don’t have a pet or your pet is safe at home please take a moment if there is a lost sign in your neighborhood or close to you, or your job etc.. call the owner and ask how can I help? It maybe driving around, it maybe putting up signs, it maybe as simple as posting the info. on your Facebook page, or sending out an email to someone else in your community. Just know ANY help is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS appreciated!!!!!!!
Finally, so you ask what does a “PET FRIENDLY ” REALTOR do well, I feel it is necessary to always give back and this is just one way I do. So please take some time and keep your pet safe.
The Pet Friendly Realtor
“Finding Homes for People and Animals”
Learn more about adopting a special friend at www.jillbarsky.com
Commission Donation to Animal Rescue League of Client’s Choice