Harmful Treats – Grapes for Fido – Raisin some Concerns

Ingestion of grapes and raisins (two of our favorite foods, full of vitamins, energy and antioxidants) are now being implicated and documented as the cause kidney failure, in a number of dogs, cats and ferrets, across the country, Most types of grapes and raisins are implicated, but the exact toxin and mechanism has not as yet, been identified. Most cases have occurred in dogs (most ingesting at least 1 grape or 3 raisins, per pound of body weight).Clinical signs occur in 6-24 hours and consist of vomiting, diarrhea, depression, anorexia, dehydration, decreased urine production. The course of the disease is from a few days to 3 weeks and the prognosis for recovery is guarded to poor. Treatment includes use of emetics, activated charcoal, IV fluids and other symptomatic care as needed.

So I guess if we want to keep out pets happy and healthy, we shouldn’t share these treats with them.

Pet Lovers Companion P.O. Box 239 Mount Vernon, VA 22121 703-780-4400 Copyright © 2002-2019, Meyers Marketing. All Rights Reserved.