Looking for a fun outing for you and your canine companion? Problem solved. Set your sights on Lake Accotink Park, where dogs and their people find entertainment through a variety of park programs. Located in Springfield, VA, just five minutes from the Capital Beltway and Interstate 95, the park provides enjoyable activities such as:
· Exercise and maintain health for you and your dog by joining one of the park’s Walking for Fitness Doggy and Me classes. Sessions are typically 8 to 10 weeks.
· Sign up for a Dog Day Afternoon Cruise, held about one Sunday per month from May to October. The pooch-friendly pontoon boat glides across the lake, sets tails awagging and noses pointing.
· Celebrate your pup’s birthday with a picnic under the birthday tent and a one-hour canine cruise on the lake. Your dog and friends both human and canine will delight in the sights and sounds of ducks, geese, herons, turtles, and other lake dwellers.
· If your dog – or you – like costume contests, bone hunts or photo opportunities, don’t miss the Halloween Costume Contest, Pet Pictures with Santa, and the Easter Bonnet Pet Parade.
· Enroll your pup in a professionally-led Dog Obedience class. Choose the spring, summer or fall, and the class level appropriate to your dog’s developmental stage.
· For kids 9 to 14 years old on spring or summer break, there’s a Doggone Fun Camp! Kids learn essential skills to care for dogs, and participate in special games and fun activities for both dog and child.
Of course, you’ll need to call ahead for dates, times and registration fees.
Then grab your leash, come to Lake Accotink and have the fun you and your doggy deserve!
Lake Accotink Park 703-569-0285 www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/ accotink/bark.htm